Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Galveston sunrise

About 6 weeks after Ike hit Shirley, Steve and I went to Galveston to shoot sunrise landscapes. I had been wanting to try long shutterspeeds to blur water and this trip was my first attempts at doing that. Unfortunately I don't think this is printable because there is red and green fringing along the edges of the piers. These piers are next to what was once Murdoch's and I think were part of its boardwalk.
Camera info: Nikon D200, 18-70mm lens at f16 and 3 seconds on a tripod
Post processing: Adjusted sliders in ACR for a good exposure in the sky, in PS selected the sky and multiplied it at 25% opacity, ran Luminizer from Kubota, Levels for brighter foreground but masked off sky, merged and cloned out bright white spots from the sand

3 comments:

  1. Is the red fringe the result of the light hitting the pilings and lighting them up? Have you tried using chrmatic aberration sliders in Camera RAW to reduce it?

    I like the exposure of the sky and the softness of the water, however, for my eye, there are too many piers in the water. I am not sure what you want me to focus my attention on.

    Nice shot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful shot Cindi!

    I love the look of the water that you achieved with the long shutter speed! Great composition and great play between warm and cool colors.

    Well done!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had limited experiences with sunrises. I do better with sunsets when I am awake. But I believe that Larry's point is worth trying. You may not want to lose the left side because of the light but the right side has the more dramatic diagonal object in the foreground. Try a couple of crops to see if you like them. Maybe one on the right to just include the rock? Maybe a darker image with part of the left side removed?

    ReplyDelete