Monday, July 13, 2009

Selective Focus?




Or shallow depth of field? I have been struggling with this latest assignment for the photo club. I am not sure of the difference between the two. I tend to think of selective focus more as the whole subject is in sharp focus compared to the rest of the image which has some degree of blurriness but enough to recognize some elements that tie into the subject. So, with that interpretation, since the tree frog's eyes are really the only sharp part of the images posted today, I don't think they are selective focus. It will be interesting to see how the judges interpret this assignment.
Camera info: Nikon D200, 60mm macro lens with closeup filter attached (+1 or +4, can't remember which filter) at f3.2 and 1/80th, ISO 400, Cloudy whitebalance
Post processing: In ACR processed for more exposure and blacks. In Photoshop, used Luminizer from Kubota or levels for global brightness, Touch of Light if needed, sharpened with the Edge or Popsickle from Kubota




5 comments:

  1. I am not sure what they mean by selective focus. Many images are the result of the photographer selecting a narrow depth of field. I often skip submitting pictures and may not bring a print tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like it. Do tell what the judges think.I for one award the blue ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice group of shots Cindi. My favorite is the top image because I happen to like how the extra negative space at the bottom helps give the subject a sence of location. I hope the judges like the approach to the assignment, because if they don't like your then they won't like mine either! :) I think it's a solid approach for both of us, if not a bit on the "safe" side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I prefer the last image because the eyes are really sharp in the image and I believe that most people look at the eyes first. I do think that some people might have problem with it since the nose is out of focus.

    The composition of all of these is really good and I think the color combination is outstanding. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like all three of these shots a lot and feel they are all well suited to the "Selective Focus" assignment! You should do well with any one of them!

    Well done!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete