Thursday, October 15, 2009

Breaking Photographic Rules


This was my submission for our October assignment of breaking some photographic rules.  Since so many macro images get comments from our judges about having a shallow depth of field, (the photographer did not get the whole flower in focus from front to back) I decided to use my Lensbaby and a closeup filter that would for sure create a shallow depth of field as well as distortion around the edges.  I like the effect that lens gave to the leaves on the sides and back...in fact, I would have liked even more distortion.  Then I chose to center my subject instead of using the Rule of Thirds and placing it on a point of interest.  After processing it in CS3 for some rich color, I used the Full Moon action from Kubota to make it high contrast black and white. (no rule broken there)

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful shot Cindi!

    If I remember correctly the judges still didn't like the selective focus and wondered why the photographer didn't get the whole plant in focus. I wanted to throw my arms up in the air in frustration at their comments! They just don't seem to be able to think outside the box when it comes to focus!

    Sorry. Didn't mean to rant. Geat photo! Love the selective focus! Well done!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't able to make it so here I am surfing and glad I stopped by. I am judging from home and I think you broke all kinds of rules....there-for....you will receive a very good grade. You may now move to the next assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Barry, I completely agree with your rant. I don't know how much progress we have made with expanding the horizons of what is considered interesting photography in the 2 and 1/2 years I have been submitting images....I really hoped having an assignment that TOLD us to break some rules would be the perfect opportunity...Well, maybe getting a Silver actually is some progress, when you think about it. We can't give up now!

    And I wish "anonymous" commentors would leave their name, I have no idea who you are! But thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete