Saturday, June 20, 2009

the Wing

I know this is morbid, but it is what Shirley and I found that first time out after Ike hit. And later we realized how indicative it is of the catastophic effect that Ike had on the bird population. I was going through my folders looking for images to submit when TAAACL has their fall show "Flotsam and Jetsam" about artists responses to the hurricane and thought this would certainly fit. I do not know what type of bird lost its life here, but this was a pretty good-sized wing, not from a small songbird. I tried to make the wing stand off of the background and wonder if it is still too cluttered looking?

Camera info: Nikon D200, 18 - 70 mm 3.5- 4.5 lens at f8 and 1/90th, ISO 400, cloudy whitebalance
Post processing: cloned out some distracting debris, duplicated that layer in softlight and multiply at 50% opacities each, ran Punch Drunk by Kubota but masked off background, Hue/sat layer to reduce color in background, Curves for contrast, Edge Downer to vignette, sharpened with the Edge and the highpass filter.

3 comments:

  1. Wow Cindy. This is a great shot. It's disturbing and contemplative at the same time. I would stop and appreciate it in a museum, but wouldn't dream of haning it im my house! I'm so confused....

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the type of image that goes well when you can attach a small story with it. The colors are just right for the effect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd say the busy background adds to the mood and chaos of the scene - a perfect fit post-Ike. Great photo!

    ReplyDelete