Thursday, June 11, 2009

Children at Play

My mother is a Volunteer Grandma (I think that is what she is called) to these two brothers and she arranged for me to photograph them for our "children at play" club assignment. They are really sweet boys, but boy are they active too! I took my 70 - 20 mm lens for the great backgrounds it captures but quickly realized I would never be able to keep them in the frame even in their good-sized backyard, so ended up using my newer 24 - 70 mm 2.8 lens. I was really disappointed that at the wide aperture I used I still got so much of the background in focus...it is too distracting in most of the shots. I got some nice images of them interacting but nothing really outstanding to submit.
Camera info: Nikon D200, 24 - 70 mm 2.8 lens at f2.8 and 1/400th, ISO 100
Post processing: set white and black points in ACR, softlight layer at 50% opacity, Punch Drunk action by Kubota for more saturated colors but masked off face and skin, Touch of Light action to lighten faces, Curves for more contrast and to darken the background.

3 comments:

  1. Very nice Cindi!

    You captured a great moment here and your post-processing really enhances the image!

    Well done!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did good here.

    No doubt that there is a lot of energy being used by these two. Great simple background that really makes them pop off the canvas. Lighting is nice and even. As I moved the photo down on my computer screen (thus cropping the image), I did like what I got--cropping slightly down, I think makes the boys really come alive and makes their dynamic position even more evident--at least to these old eyes.

    Nice shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice shot Cindi. Looks to me like you made all the right choices on your post processing. The finished photo is a real stand out.

    ReplyDelete