Saturday, December 5, 2009

This Is Serious Work, Being a Model


Taken on our hike, at the beginning of the session.  I realize the soccer uniform looks out of place in the woods and I wish he had been wearing jeans when we started, but we had plans to take some shots on the soccer field as soon as the sun got lower, so I didn't want to ask him to change just as we met.  But I do think walking back on the nature trail was a good way to get comfortable with each other and we all enjoyed the hike, so having some kind of an ice-breaker activity to do with kids is something I want to keep in mind for the future.  Does anyone have some things that work for you?
Also, I have been trying a new (for me) method of boosting color by converting to lab mode and then doing a curves adjustment layer on the a and b channels, very slightly moving in the sliders on both ends of the curve, sometimes one end more than the other, to my liking.  I just occasionally want a little more color pop and read that is a way to do it subtly.  Here I masked it off of J's face, but wondered how it looks on others' monitors
--- OK?  Don't bother?
Nikon D700, 70 - 200mm lens at 200mm, f4, 1/125th, ISO 200.

2 comments:

  1. I think you did a nice job on this shot Cindi. Even though there are several objects around his head and face, my eyes still go straight to his when I first look at the photo. I think the photo has some pop to the colors without being too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my fav of the three J portraits. His face really pops in this photo and, like Doug said, my eyes go straight to his eyes. Also the depth of field works well and I really like how you used the foreground elements to frame the shot.

    Well done!
    Barry

    ReplyDelete