Sunday, September 19, 2010

Food 2

Nikon D700, 60mm macro lens at f6.7, 1/60th,
-0.5 exposure compensation, ISO 400

I thought about entering this image for the "Food" assignment, but totally forgot about it.  Several of these Monarch caterpillars ate this plant down to stubs but the leaves have come back again.  This image also captures a tiny yellow aphid (I think), thousands of which had been feasting on this plant before the caterpillars.  I was spraying the stalks with insecticidal soap and that did not seem to get rid of the aphids.  I was about to spray again when I saw several of these caterpillars.  I had purposefully planted a Butterfly and Hummingbird garden this spring --- it worked!
Here are a few more shots where I tried different angles.  But with the macro lens and the shade I was working in causing my shutterspeeds to be pretty slow, the depth of field was very shallow.


 
 

1 comment:

  1. WOW!!! Very nice pics. =) Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete